[Glastonbury] report on meeting - Jan 10th

Martin Wheeler mwheeler at startext.co.uk
Wed Jan 11 03:40:08 GMT 2006

Well, our first meeting in the new venue went well -- thanks Ray, Phil,
PeterL, Tony, Andrew (apologies from Ian and Greg).

Checking out the new equipment was fun -- we have 14 machines at our
disposal, all P3 1000 MHz boxes, each with 256 Mb of memory -- all but
one with 20 Gb hard drive (the odd man out having 40 Gb) -- and all
booting up from the default settings of Ubuntu 5.10 no problem at all --
straight onto the local network, and out to the internet.

Even better, with machines set to DHCP, just plugging into a network
socket enabled those who wanted to do so to plug their own machines into
the network and so get out to the net with their own preferred
distribution -- whilst those with wireless enabled laptops found it very
easy to use the wireless network to get straight out onto the net without
needing to bring a CAT5 cable at all.

And with sockets galore all round the room (plus ample bench space), those
who brought extension cables found they didn't really need them.

All in all, a very useful little exercise.  Doesn't look as if we'll have
to set up our own wireless network interface after all - we've got all we
need in place already.

And maybe -- just maybe -- if we play our cards right, we might persuade
the Centre to let us install second hard drives in some of the machines
[bootable from floppy only, natch] to demo a few different versions of our
favourite OS.

Two welcome differences to the usual routine:
1) the teabreak (thanks for thinking of bringing biscuits, Ray);
2) the ability to take our time over things, without feeling hounded to
get out for a deadline for someone else -- with the result that we overran
until 9:30+.  It's very nice to know that as keyholders, we can leave when
we feel like it.  A vast improvement, I feel.

The one note of sadness in the whole evening for me was the total absence
of any members from Glastonbury.  Whether this was by accident or design,
I do not know.  It would be sad to think that it was intentional however.

As we have the run of the teaching room on a regular basis, it was decided
to try a *second* meeting each month -- this time on the FOURTH Tuesday --
and to use this for teaching the LPI syllabus [q.v.] in a slightly more
formal setting.  A sort of 'Newbie Night' for command-line beginners, as
it were.  The first of these meetings will be held on Tuesday, Jan. 24th,
again at 19:00 - 21:00+

The next 'regular' meeting will of course be the second Tuesday of
February [viz. St. Valentine's Day], Feb. 14th.

See you there.
(Somebody remember to bring coffee!  Non-teadrinkers almost died of
thirst tonight! :)