[Glastonbury] course details: Jan 26 meeting

Martin Wheeler mwheeler at startext.co.uk
Thu Jan 26 02:12:37 GMT 2006

On Wed, 25 Jan 2006, Michael Hicks wrote:

> I really enjoyed last night,

Yo, that's what I like to hear!

>  One thing I failed to do was make clear notes on the links to
> your course notes

That's OK -- I've been *trying* to put up a resume of what happened last
night ever since I got back in; but there have been so many other
distractions getting in the way -- and in any case, I said we'd put it
all up on the 'net somewhere -- hopefully on lugog.org.uk, but I still
have to liaise with Sean on that one.

Right.

First session
-------------
- boot up Ubuntu from CD (painfully slow)
- look up Linux Professional Institute on net
      http://lpi.org/
   and study Certification Program details;  view and/or download
   study syllabus and sample questions for both parts of both levels:
      http://lpi.org/en/lpic.html
- look up Linux Documentation Project
      http://tldp.org/
   for Manuals & Guides:
       + Introduction to Linux
       + Linux System Adminstrator's Guide
       (+ anything else interesting)
- look up GBDirect free Linux course modules notes:
      http://linuxtraining.co.uk/download/
- look up IBM free LPI training course notes
      http://www-128.ibm.com/developerworks/linux/lpi/101.html
      (et sequitur)
- demonstration of contents of all above as .pdf files
   contained on CD to be placed on LUGoG website as an iso

Second session
--------------
- use Alt/F1 - F5 to switch between teletype screens;
- use Ctl/Alt/F6 to switch back to X graphics display;
- System settings->New login to bring up further X login screens;
- sudo passwd  to create root password (Ubuntu special -- yeeuch!)
- login  to bring up login prompt (command line)
- [ logout / Ctl/D ]
- use adduser command  [also deluser] to create/remove new users
- cd to change directory
- ls to list contents of directory
      ls;  lspci;  lsmod
- use of man command to see user manual (command documentation)
      man ls;  man lspci;  man lsmod
- contents of /home directory
- importance of relative as opposed to absolute path
   [ cd home (relative from /)  vs.  cd /home (absolute from anywhere) ]

* short demonstration of Claroline Virtual Learning Environment
   ( = VLE to be added to lugog website for all training courses)

And that's about it, I think.

Remember that some really good stuff was found by entering:
    "free lpi training manuals"
into google -- I haven't had time yet to check them all out.
If you find anything really good -- let us *all* know -- send it to the
list.

next class:  Tuesday 28th Feb at 19:00
before then -- work your way through IBM first module (LPI 101 - part 1
of 4) -- at least.

Cheers,