[Glastonbury] 9 coloured iMacs running Ubuntu

Cherry Mulliss cherry at computux.com
Fri Mar 3 21:10:38 GMT 2006

Hi Guys

Ubuntu on 9 coloured iMacs

As some of you know I do some networking of Macs and PCs and general
support of the hardware / software in a local school's art
department. We run our art department ADSL via a Linux router /
firewall etc.

Our latest idea is to take the 9 coloured iMacs (blueberry,
strawberry, grape, key lime, bondi blue and so on) arrange them in a
decorative semicircle, connect them to the network via a spare switch
and install Ubuntu on all of them. (I have the iso downloading as I
type this). We will then use them to run Gimp, Blender and anything
else suitable for the students to use.

They will also run slideshow / video software so that they can run
animations produced by the students (to impress visitors on open days
etc.). Ideally one will run a presentation explaining what we are
doing and our use of open source software for the project.

We are starting this next Thursday, and hope to have it finished in
the next 2 weeks. With the multicolor effect it should be quite an
eye-catiching display that will provide a talking point for visitors.
I will let you all know how it goes and post pictures either on my
own website or somewhere else appropriate.

Hopefully I might actually manage to make it to another meeting at
some stage soon :)

BFN

Cherry