[Glastonbury] laptop

Andrew M.A. Cater amacater at galactic.demon.co.uk
Sun Mar 5 23:56:00 GMT 2006

On Sun, Mar 05, 2006 at 08:43:59PM +0000, mike waterworth wrote:
> hiya
> i have a 166mhz (i think) laptop that i am wondering what i can do to make
> it usefull...
> the battery just about works (maybe 10mins)
>  i have a ac adapter for it plugged in, and i bourght a pcmcia card for it
> so i can network it, it has no usb..
> and i am into the whole 'media center' idea....could i get it to be used as
> a secondary screen or anything?
> dont mind what os it runs, i have loads of other computers in my room
> aswell.
> thanks.
> mike w
How much memory / disk space

Number of apps: depends primarily on the memory as to whether you'll be
successful. With no detailed specifics, here are a few ideas:

Would make a good relatively dumb X terminal/serial console.

Might make a firewall / wireless access point.

Would probably work fairly well as a dedicated web server serving
small numbers of relatively static pages.

Fill it with recipes and use it as a kitchen recipe book / with photos
and use it as an animated photo frame / with network/wireless analysis tools
and use it as a network sniffer?

Andy