[Gllug] Command line editing in God's own shell.

Jim Bailey jim at lateral.net
Thu Aug 30 15:57:21 UTC 2001

On Thursday, August 30, 2001, at 03:24 PM, Gordon Joly wrote:

> At 14:18 +0000 2001-08-30, Jim Bailey wrote:
>
>> BTW I just discovered Ctl-a and Ctl-e on the command line my
>> productivity has increased 10 fold , one day i hope to be worth the
>> money they pay me. ;-)

Correction I would be more productive if I didn't keep performing
unnecessary Clrl and meta functions on the command line ;-P

> Thanks to Richard Stallman placing the whole of Emacs (including the
> above) in the public domain (yes, I know this existed pre-Stallman:-)
>
> How about Meta-t (word swap - c.f. Ctrl-t which is letter swap)? I
> found that this worked "bash", much to my surprise.
>
> Praise Bash!

Praise Bash indeed, praise open source source in general and praise the
developers who give it to us freely :-)

If anyone is interested in stuff like this and doesn't know already
there is a website

www.cslab.vt.edu/manuals/bash

they are basically man pages tarted up in HTML and given more human
readable format, see HTML does have its place but not in bloody emails.

Yours happily learning something new

Jim