[Gllug] 1 pixel in size?

sean at uncertainty.org.uk sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Fri Aug 17 10:11:17 UTC 2001

On Fri, Aug 17, 2001 at 10:48:10AM +0100, David Damerell wrote:
> >>In other words, a 1 pixel gif, linked to some Javascript.
> >You can go down to the level of individual mouse clicks on different pages in
> >the site and report the whole thing back to pretty much any server
> >you chose. It does require Java and Javascript to work correctly
>
> ... resulting, curiously enough, in lynx-enhanced pages [1]. Or at any
> rate 'reason to turn off Javascript #34,682'.
>
> [1] Except that the kinds of bozos who do this will never write pages
> that work well in text browsers.

or run squid ...

acl banners dstdomain .vibrantmedia.com .thecounter.com fmads.osdn.com lnads.osdn.com .doubleclick.net netadsrv.iworld.com ads.tucows.com .interadnet.com .flycast.com .adsmart.net .avenuea.com .valueclick.com .contentzone.com .ins1.opera.com
acl regex_banners dstdom_regex ^ads.* adserver.* ^ad[0-9]+ ^ads[0-9]+ .*banner.*  .*adlink.*

acl regex_ban_url url_regex -i .*/ads/.* .*/advert/.* .*/adverts/.* .*adserver.exe.* .*adlog.pl.*
http_access deny banners
http_access deny regex_banners
http_access deny regex_ban_url

I started off just getting rid of the ads but realised that webbugs and ads are very closely related

it doesn't get all the bugs - but the main ones I am bothered about are the big ones like
doubleclick who can cross-reference on many sites.

--

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk