[Gllug] 10th Birthday party?

Gordon Joly gordon.joly at pobox.com
Tue Aug 7 14:10:26 UTC 2001

At 10:35 +0100 2001-08-06, John Hearns wrote:
>I thought we already had a thread on the 10th anniversary of Linux?
>
>No matter - the official 10th Birthday on Linux is being celebrated on
>the 25th August. It was on that date that Linux first made a post
>to comp.os.minix (I think - anybody care to confirm?)

Sure. I found this...

http://www.samco.com/news/ApMy01.htm

<quot>
Linux: The Penguin's Business Friendly
On August 25th, 1991, Linus Torvalds, an unknown Helsinki university
student, issued a posting on the comp.os.minix newsgroup stating that
"...I'm doing a
(free) operating system (just a hobby, won't be big and professional
like gnu) for 386 (486) AT clones." Roughly one month later, Linux
version 0.01
(programmers tend to be a little eccentric to say the least) was
released and the rest, as they say, is history.

</quot>

Regards

Gordon.

--