[Gllug] Problem starting up

bredroll bredroll at atari.org
Tue Aug 7 03:33:33 UTC 2001

On Tue, 7 Aug 2001, Simon Bunker wrote:
> Hi all

Hello :-)

> Ok I think I've just made a small mistake - hopefully one that can be solved
> the Linux way - ie not reinstalling the Operating system. I needed to change
> the name of my computer for some software that needs a host for its license,
> so I thought this would be fairly simple - changed it in linuxconf...and
> then something else told me to change it in /etc/hosts which I did.

yipes what program was this?

> However it looks like there are a few other things I should have done. At
> the moment it halts at starting up the sendmail daemon just after the lpd
> daemon (which is no problem if that doesn't start - hardly as critical).

you would be suprised how often linuxconf does that on redhat/mandrake
based machines.

> Is there any way around this? Is there some way of dropping to a lower init
> level so these things don't get started and I can get back in? And what do I
> need to change to get things working again. I haven't really messed around
> with these sorts of things so it should be an interesting learning
> experience.

easy, just when your computer is starting up, at lilo: type 'linux single'

this will boot you in init 1, it will probably say something like 'enter
root password for administration or press control-d for normal startup.

i think you can do the same thing with grub, if not just wait for about 20
mins and it will sort itself out and continue booting, it does hostlookups
and continues for a long timeout thats why it stops.

failing that, at lilo type 'linux init=/bin/bash'

:-)

> thanks

no probs

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk