[Gllug] speech synthesis

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Tue Aug 21 15:51:32 UTC 2001

On 20 Aug 2001 20:25:37 +0000, Ian Norton wrote:

> has anyone gotten speech synthesis such as festival working? anyone
> care to share knowledge on this?

It's in apt, just install it and it works out of the virtual box.

Failing that, I've done it from source (and at the time also installed
some of the extra MBROLA stuff from the US but you probably won't need
that to start with) although you're better off getting it packaged now -
I think there are RPMs available on the ESRC site which could go through
alien too.

It's fun but I've not played with it from a hacker perspective much yet
- although I find it greatly ausing getting my computer to talk about
itself in a degrading and in"human" fashion whenever it pisses me off :)

I am planning to write a rudimentry voice interface to my peri* machines
next term (mostly so I can deny housemates access :P) so let me know how
it goes.

--jcm

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk