[Gllug] OT greyside alliance ?

John Edwards john_ed at cornerstonelinux.co.uk
Wed Aug 15 19:27:41 UTC 2001

On Wed, Aug 15, 2001 at 06:39:47PM +0000, Jim Bailey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> a bit off topic I know but after all the Talk of cars golf and
> university grading schemes I thought I would ask anyway ;-)
>
> This is probably a really stupid question and I am almost certain I know
> the answer.I have a Sun sparc box and an 18gb IBM scsi drive can am I
> right in thinking I can marry the two together without causing serious
> harm to either then install Linux, Exim and an Imap server on the
> resulting mongrel
>
> Thanks Jim

Hi
Should be doable.

The easiest thing is to put the 18Gb disk into an external SCSI box and
then connect it with the appropriate cable to the external SCSI connector
which is present on most Suns earlier than the Ultra 5. Fitting it inside
the chasis will depend on the type of SCSI disk and the model of Sparc box.

The following is what what SCSI connectors are on which Sparc machines.
It's off the top of my head so could be somewhat wrong:

Sun SparcStations 1, 2, IPC, IPX
	50 pin internal and 50 pin high density external
	(beware of running hot drives in the IPC and IPX boxes)

Sun SparcStations 4, 5, 10, 20
	SCA (80 pin) internal and 50 pin high density external

Sun Ultras 1, 2
	SCA (80 pin) internal and 50 pin high density external

Sun Ultras 5, 10
	No SCSI onboard - you'll need an addon card.

If the machine has had Solaris on it then the default boot device will
probably be a internal hard disk with SCSI ID3. You can change this in
the OpenBoot PROM, eg "boot disk1" if you've set the root drive to be
SCSI ID1. You can make this permenant with "setenv boot-device=disk1".
There is an OpenBoot FAQ at:
	http://www.itworld.com/AppDev/616/UIR951001openboot/

And the following sites will also be of use:
	http://www.sunhelp.org/
	http://www.obsolyte.com/
	http://docs.sun.com/

--