[Gllug] Whinge

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Thu Aug 30 13:05:18 UTC 2001

On 30 Aug 2001 13:57:44 +0100, will wrote:

> > Wait until you're the next person to be bitten by Install Shield bug
> > number 0x80040707 and then tell me that again. Oh and around the same
> > time, Microsoft's Installer will fail too, the recovery program would
> > work but it requires MSI to install in the first place (chicken and egg
> > issue, thanks MS).
>
> Yes, sometimes I come accross bugs in windows installs of programs, not as
> often as some people seem to, but then it is still easy to install things.

Hello? Once you are bitten by the aforementioned bugs, no software using
either Install Shield nor MSI will install on that box and a reformat is
normally the /only/ cure.

> I am not bashing Linux here, I am just saying that it is generally easier to
> install programs on windows especially for a novice.

Oh sure, excuse me while I laugh loudly.

> > ``Sorry Sir, the only way to overcome that particular problem is to
> > re-install windows'' (paraphrasing what I have been told by various tech
> > supports).
>
> See the above comment.

So basically you're saying that sometimes there will be problems and
that we should all be happy lusers and accept it? Sorry, under no
conditions am I prepared to accept an ``Operating System''
re-installation as a "fix".

> > I look at it from the point of view of brainwashed zombies sometimes.
>
> On purpose?

Sometimes.

--jcm

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk