[Gllug] No More Dell Linux

Bruce Richardson brichardson at lineone.net
Sat Aug 4 13:18:55 UTC 2001

On Sat, Aug 04, 2001 at 01:18:29PM +0100, Chris Ball wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 04, 2001 at 01:06:41PM +0100, Jon Masters wrote:
> > This week I can build an 800MHz PC with 256MB RAM, DVD, nice monitor,
> > and all the rest for £640 inc. VAT. Dell wanted £830 for a worse spec.
>
> I didn't realise you provided an on-site engineer service, three year
> warranty and tech support, Jon. :-)

Not to mention the time saved for a small and overworked IT section -
our time is expensive.

Let me also re-emphasise how well made the boxes are - the cases for the
small-footprint desktop workstations are the best I've ever seen and the
same care has been applied to the components inside.  It's very
difficult (in some cases impossible) to find off-the-shelf components of
the same quality.

We're all capable of putting boxes together ourselves but I don't see it
as some cause for breast-beating and macho pride.  Buying
well-engineered and reliable desktops allows us to concentrate our
attention where it's needed.

--
Bruce

Remember you're a Womble.