Anti sircam? was: Re: [Gllug] Code Red worm sleeps?

Simon Stewart sms at digital-science.net
Wed Aug 1 17:28:13 UTC 2001

On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 05:18:07PM +0100, Richard Cohen wrote:

> Any machine from which an attack originates is unpatched and vunerable.
> How about a counter-virus which would utilise the known vunerability on the
> attacking machine to both wipe out the worm from that machine, and install
> the patch (or something smaller and simpler, maybe) such that the machine is
> then no longer vunerable?

Monstorously bad idea. Big thread on bugtraq. Muttered comments about
the whole legality of the situation. And who hasn't had a Windows box
that you attempted to patch, only to find that you'd managed to shaft
the last wisps of flux keeping the software smoke bound and gagged to
the processor?

I shall now abandon block text. It's hard to read.

Cheers,

Simon

--
"I don't think so," said Rene Descartes.  Just then, he vanished.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk