[Gllug] ipchains and logging

sean at uncertainty.org.uk sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Tue Aug 14 18:16:05 UTC 2001

Hi,
  I'm experimenting eith my firewall and I'd like to log some extra info...

I want to allow Demon to initiate smtp connection  .. so

ipchains -A input -i $extint -s 194.217.242.0/8 smtp -p TCP -l -j ACCEPT

syslog.conf
*.info;mail.none;authpriv.none;cron.none                /var/log/messages

demon help says
-=-
Those customers who use firewalls or otherwise place restrictions on external connections to their machines (this applies mainly to Unix software) should allow connections from hosts with IP addresses in the range:

194.217.242.0 to 194.217.242.255

on the default SMTP port (25).
-=-

well I seem to be getting my mail :-)

but it's not being logged (as far as I can see)

meantime I am getting log entries for rejected connection attempts to port 80 (code red?)

any ideas?

--

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk