[Gllug] New Code Red /default.ida?XXXXXXXXXXXX

jim jim at madeira.physiol.ucl.ac.uk
Thu Aug 9 12:01:20 UTC 2001

On Wed, 8 Aug 2001, Roger Whittaker wrote:
> I hope no one seriously has the idea of doing something like this -

The idea has been bandied about on various fora, Slashdot and bugtraq
notable amongst them, but the general consensus is that it would be a
Really Bad Idea (tm).

> the fact that it was done would be exploited to create terrible
> publicity for Linux and Linux people.

A Windows-head writing a black-hat worm is an isolated miscreant, but a
Linux-head writing a white-hat worm implies that we're all evil crackers?
Very probably, I should think.

Pursuant to my "epidemiological" comment earlier in the discussion,
according to that Physics World article on "the Physics of the Web" it's
been shown that the threshold for a virus in a scale-free network (the WWW
for example) is ... zero. ALL viruses will persist to some extent on the
Net. So, short of shutting down the entire Web, we can expect to see Code
Red as long as there are any unpatched hosts out there.

Cheers, jim
--
http://madeira.physiol.ucl.ac.uk/people/jim/
"... I naturally gravitated to London, that great cesspool into which all the

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk