[Gllug] GRUB

Simon Stewart sms at digital-science.net
Mon Aug 6 15:25:22 UTC 2001

On Mon, Aug 06, 2001 at 02:10:53PM +0000, Jim Bailey wrote:
> Hi,
>
> has anyone had much experience with GRUB as a loader as I need to set up
> a couple of test machines to run numerous OS's and variants of browsers
> for our developers to test on and I thought GRUB would be a good choice
> as it doesn't require a specific OS to boot from or to and has a
> graphical option.

The latest version of lilo has a nice and pretty menu that pops up and
allows people to pick an OS without needing to hit "tab" to get a text
list in the first place. Might be just the thing you're looking for,
as it sounds as if you've more experience with lilo than grub.

The only time you need to boot into Linux specifically is when you
want to change the lilo settings, IME. Can't see that being a real
issue, especially if you make a single disk image and "dd" that on to
the clone machines....

BTW, you appear to have left Opera off your non-exhaustive list of
browsers ;) And you might want to consider the browser that QNX ships
with, cos it's used in the BT "webphones" that you can see dotted
about the high-street.

Cheers,

Simon

--
"Four out of five men say they watch women's gymnastics and figure
skating for the athleticism. Nine out of ten women say they are

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk