[Gllug] NTFS fix under DOS

Simon Stewart sms at digital-science.net
Thu Aug 2 11:13:49 UTC 2001

On Wed, Aug 01, 2001 at 08:22:42PM +0100, Simon Bunker wrote:

<snip>

> > Then format the drive, don't forget about
> > the 2GB limitation on their crappy OS and copy the data back before
> > re-install.
>
> What 2Gb limitation? Or do you mean FAT? If you are talking about NT 4 then
> yes it is the biggest pile of crap on the planet - 2000 is much better
> though.

>From memory, so please stick red-hot flames in my inbox if I'm wrong:

NT 4 initially couldn't be installed on a partition larger than 2GB
(indeed, it refused to handle them properly in general, from what I
recall) Service Pack 3 raised this limit to something a bit more
reasonable, but you couldn't resize the disk volume with the system
files on it, so you were stuck with a C: drive of at most 2GB. At
least, using the tools provided with NT.

PITA. Fortunately, you can get around this problem with a network
install of a Service Packed version of NT --- for a while I had a
couple of machines with NT and a 6GB C: drive. I don't think that the
limitation exists under 2000, though, so it's largely irrelvent.

> > Here's hoping you junk the windows gumph :-)
>
> It seems to be a very server orientated market here in which case I'd agree.
> I'm coming from a Desktop perspective and the other way around seems to be
> truer - there are still quite a lot of Win only programs that I use a lot
> which don't have alternatives on Linux.

Wine is not an emulator. It's your friend.... ;)

Cheers,

Simon

--
I _am_ pragmatic. That which works, works, and theory can go screw
itself.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk