[Gllug] LPI certification input apreciated

Jim Bailey jim at lateral.net
Fri Aug 10 09:15:51 UTC 2001

Hi again,

just found this in some old stuff so I will give you the full bumph:

 From: Julie Thornton <julie at lpi.org>
Date: Mon Jul 09, 2001  06:24:54 PM Etc/GMT
To: Julie Thornton <Julie at lpi.org>
Subject: Linux Professional Institute

Thank you for visiting the LPI booth at Linux Expo in London.  As
promised, I've included information below and links which you may find
useful in considering and preparing for LPI certification.  Just as
Linux is largely about choice, LPI insists on offering you the choice in
which distribution(s) you use, which ways you will prepare for the LPI
exams, and which testing centers you will use.

We do encourage you to participate in the LPI-Discuss mailing list,
which offers an opportunity to correspond with other from around the
world who are interested in LPI certification programs, and to take
advantage of the resources our Alumni program offers once you are
certified.

subject subscribe lpi-discuss

LPI is a non-profit organization that exists to help Linux users advance
in their careers and hiring organizations to evaluate the expertise of
their job candidates.  We did not create the LPI certification program
to sell training or software.  There are many very good test preparation
options available to you in dozens of languages all over the world, and
we encourage you to seek the programs that best suit your interests and
needs.

To learn of the many test preparation options we are aware of, visit
http://www.lpi.org/c-preparation.html

Many of you asked where testing is offerred in the UK.  I did a quick
search and it looks like there are about 100 testing centers in the UK.
VUE has a website tool that allows you to find testing centers for LPI
Certification by country.

To find a testing center near you, visit http://www.vue.com/lpi/

For those of you who are interested in learning about the exam
objectives (areas tested), you'll want to start by visiting www.lpi.org
and clicking the "Getting Certified" link, which will walk you thru the
basic information about each level of LPI certification, allow you to
view and consider the objectives, offer preparation alternatives, and
register for the tests.  Many people around the world have found this
information to be very useful in exploring and augmenting their current
knowledge and expertise.

To go directly to the Getting Certified link, visit
http://www.lpi.org/c-index.html

There are many reasons that I've heard from Alumni and test candidates
around the world for getting certified.  Some of the most common reasons
include career development, prestige, objective quantification of
skills, corporate requirements, demonstrated expertise, and
demonstrating self motivation.  Whatever your reason, LPI Certification
programs are specifically designed to be distribution and training
program neutral, while remaining psychometrically valid and
statistically valid.

For information about certification issues, visit
http://www.lpi.org/why_lpi.html#1

I've mentioned psychometrics a few times, and most people are not
familiar with the term.  Psychometric test development is a
standardized, rigorous process of developing tests which are
statistically valid and legally defensible measurement of knowledge.  In
the LPIC program, we measure the knowledge of Linux systems
administration.

A description of the LPI development process is given at
http://www.lpi.org/p-psychometrics.html

Thank you for your interest in LPI.

If you have questions not addressed here, or would like to contact us on
a specific matter, please feel free to do so.  A list of staff is found
at http://www.lpi.org/a-who-are-we.html

Also, please note that LPI is very interested in any comments, concerns,
or criticism you have to offer.

--
All the best -

Julie Thornton, Marketing Director