[Gllug] Dialling the net remotley

Andre Newman andre at walkabout.compulink.co.uk
Wed Aug 1 23:49:14 UTC 2001

On Wednesday 01 August 2001 20:26, you wrote:
> HI Guys,
>
> I dont know the best way to put this, but im sure I saw it on the list a
> few months back. I want to be able to kick off a ppp session to my ISP
> remotley. For example I want to dial my home number from my mobile, then
> when my PC recognises its me calling, cuts me off and then dials my ISP and
> starts a ppp session. Can this be done? Im pretty sure I saw a couple of
> people mention it on the list, so any pointers would be appreciated.

mgetty has a "dial back" feature that calls you back on a predefined number,
maybe it could be hacked around to do what you want?
You should have mgetty with just about any Linux distro, ok not lrp ;-)

If mgetty can be persuaded to call an external script, that script could:
delay until it's likely the line has been dropped, then ifup ppp0, you would
want some way of being sure the line got put down. Maybe your ISP drops the
line if you don't send traffic for a while?

I used to have problems getting mgetty and pppd to play nicely with the same
modem which started around the time /dev/cua turned into /dev/ttyS I think
it's supposed to work again.

I do similar by different means, I have a dial on demand firewall, a
fetchmail cron job collects my mail at fixed intervals (I use cron rather
than fetchmail daemon so that I know what time the cron job will happen).
If I want something from my machine while at a friends house or at work, I
ssh to my box at the known fetchmail time, the SSH session traffic keeps the
dial on demand connection going until I have logged off.

Trouble is you really need a fixed IP address for this to work (or maybe
dyndns).

Andre

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk