[Gllug] unzip - slightly off topic

Jim Cheetham jim at gonzul.org
Fri Aug 24 14:06:39 UTC 2001

At 20:04 23/08/2001 +0100, Dylan wrote:
>PKzip is likely to suffer from file pointer restrictions inherent in 16bit
>DOS archetecture. WinZip (www.winzip.com) should cope with this. Although I

There are two versions of the (command line) windows PKZIP build, PKZIP
2.50 for DOS http://pkware.com/products/pkzipdos.html and another build I
couldn't directly find, PKZIP 2.50 Command Line for Windows NT,
http://www.pkware.com/aboutus/news/pr_980420.html

However, you don't say whether or not you get the opportunity to re-try the
failed unzips manually ... are the files being damaged earlier (by bad
transmission, etc) and this causing the failures? I work occasionally with
3rd party data feeds, and many of them are badly delivered.

>maybe 6G uncompressed. Enouch space must be available either in the
>destination folder or temp to generate intermediate files - this is

This may not be a problem for unpacking, though ... intermediate files will
generally only be as big as the current file being extracted, however this
still may be biting you, as two copies of a single big file may be too much.

> > This should automatically unzip overnight, but fails occasionally and
> > unpredictably.

Change the options to run verbose and capture the output, even if you
expect 90+% to have no problems. Not impossible under NT ... depends on
your scheduling method. If you can't find anything with the right
functionality, try the Cygwin environment and 'tee' :-)

-jim

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk