GPL readline, was Re: [Gllug] Which laptop?

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Thu Aug 30 17:35:09 UTC 2001

On 30 Aug 2001 17:34:06 +0100, William Palfreman wrote:

> Is this an example of what MS call Viral Licensing?  That is, now that
> readline is GPL, there is no way it can be made LGPL?  So every program
> incorporating readline has to be GPLed too (which wouldn't happen with the
> less restrictive LGPL)?

Every program incorpating it yes, however if you were to create a
wrapper GPL program with all the readline function calls and then
communicate between that an evil non-GPL code using a unix socket or
somesuch then maybe you could "get around" it, ordinary linking and so
forth is not sufficient.

IANAL and I don't support non-GPL works anyway.

--jcm

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk