[Gllug] Problem starting up

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Mon Aug 13 00:19:53 UTC 2001

On 09 Aug 2001 21:49:45 +0100, Nix wrote:

> Ugh, no. A system already exists for this, and it's not LD_PRELOAD.

Oh right, sorry, I must do it your way. Glad we cleared that up.

I fail to see the need for custom nss modules in order to please a
single program. Fact is, if you want to kludge it in 2 minutes flat,
preloading is probably still the fastest way of doing it - it's only a
trivial task.

> > Then all you need is a simple entry in your hosts
> > (or DNS) so that lookups for that name also return
> > the current machine's address - this should work?
>
> I completely fail to understand what you're driving at.

It's really a very simple point - if you want your machine to be
recognised as another name then you'll need a hosts or DNS entry for it.
Hang on, isn't that exactly what I said above and you whinged on about?

<snip>

> A single name maps to *one* IP address, not many.

OK, I'm glad I'm not working with you then.

Nice to know you never use CNAME, or even additional A records for hosts
(actually do you even bother with multiple MX entries?) - round robin or
not, and besides sometimes it's not just for round robin but for
aliases.

You may not like aliases but this doesn't remove the fact that they're a
good idea. Anyway all this is irrelevent since we /were/ talking about
someone who wanted to have their machine recognised as another hostname
- all I said was that they would need an entry for that (CNAME,
whatever), clearly I did not mean that it would have to also be reverse
resolvable because that would have been stupid, unneeded and
fundamentally not really doable given how reverse lookups are meant to
work.

> programs can and do cache the result of resolver calls and use the same
> IP address over and over again.)

Which is fine if he wants another alias for his machine - are we both
speaking english now or have you gone off to cloud wonderland?

--jcm

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk