[Gllug] Mailbox rule

sean at uncertainty.org.uk sean at uncertainty.org.uk
Thu Aug 30 21:20:47 UTC 2001

On Thu, Aug 30, 2001 at 05:13:21PM +0100, Jon Masters wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have decided to get ADSL from Mailbox. They recently reduced their
> prices and their tech staff *know* what they're doing (OMG).
>
> They're also the only ISP I have spoken to who will give me the reverse
> DNS I want on a USB ADSL service. Further, they have told me several
> things I didn't know about the Speedtouch kit, they don't impose any
> service restrictions, and a whole lot more.
>
> It's times like this that you just have to smile :)
>
> * jcm bounces...and the world around him feels it.

I've just spent an unproductive week wrestling with usb adsl :-(

Clara.net provided us with satic ip (forward and reverse dns)...

BUT ..

first there was a problem at the exchange
then a dynamic ip
then static ip and no routing (turned out clara had given us an ip from
the wrong range
then they gave us reverse dns for the new ip but forgot the forward
so ssh didn't work
now when it works it's great but half the time we can connect but
only as far as the first router - clara blame BT and BT blame clara

on top of this I am trying to use smoothwall 0.9.9 beta (the stable
version doesn't support usb) - but this beta is flaky as hell

- to start with usb dns is broken - which stops you from uploading
the fix ! (had to edit the perl script)

it hangs if it can't sync the speddtouch modem on boot

I have had at least one kernel panic a day :-(

just to add to the fun our main dev server went down due to a bust fan

--

Sean

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk