[Gllug] No More Dell Linux

Bruce Richardson brichardson at lineone.net
Sat Aug 4 09:51:12 UTC 2001

On Sat, Aug 04, 2001 at 01:26:49AM +0100, Ian Northeast wrote:

> Despite Dell's dropping of preinstalled Linux, I still think they make
> good machines. My old Optiplex GM200 has had Linux (various), Solaris
> and OS/2 on it, and now has FreeBSD. All have worked without the
> slightest problem (except the ones I caused of course:). Naturally I
> have no idea how well they run Windows, but I understand its previous
> owner used NT. We had an Optiplex G1 around once (now recycled for
> parts) and that was excellent too.
>
> Their tech support is very good too. They will give email support if you
> quote the number off the sticker on the back, you do not have to have
> any sort of warranty or have bought the machine new.
>
> Don't let this setback put anyone off buying Dells. Of the branded
> machines I think they are the best.

Yup.  They are very well engineered machines and very easy to service.
The G100, for example, is a small-footprint desktop model, so the two
PCI slots are in a riser board crammed into a corner to save space.
Ordinarily that make installing cards a difficult procedure but in this
machine you just pull a lever and the whole PCI assembly rises up out of
the box.

They simply make well-designed boxes all round.  My colleagues have
finally stopped buying "bargain" boxes from Simply and the like - the
reliability of the Dell boxes saves us a lot of money.  I'm just happy
to see PCs which won't slice chunks off my fingers when I try putting
some RAM in.

--
Bruce

I see a mouse.  Where?  There, on the stair.  And its clumsy wooden
footwear makes it easy to trap and kill.  -- Harry Hill