[Gllug] ssh

John Hearns john.hearns at framestore.co.uk
Wed Aug 22 11:42:52 UTC 2001

Paul Brazier wrote:

>On a related note, what's the essential difference between rsh and
>telnet? Do they both give the same functionality but just use different
>protocols or something?

I'm probably raving (as usual - see my earlier post today),
but I would say that the answer to this lies in a bit of history.

The telnet protocol would have been evolved for facilitating
login access to remote machines across the Internet.
Bit of history - remember that that sort of thing was revolutionary
20 or 30 years ago. People literally did fly out to remote computer centres
to prepare and submit jobs, or used 'Remote Job Entry' stations to submit
jobs on card decks.
Just think - 'Wow - now I can edit files and submit batch jobs on a
supercomputer, all without leaving my office.'

Rsh is more evolved for firing off commands on other workstations in
a small workgroup - ie. if you wanted to run the same command on a few
workstations
in your department, say.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk