[Gllug] perl querying SQL server 7

Bruce Richardson brichardson at lineone.net
Tue Aug 21 12:25:11 UTC 2001

On 8/21/01, 1:08:14 PM, Bruce Richardson <brichardson at lineone.net> wrote
regarding Re: [Gllug] perl querying SQL server 7:

> On 8/21/01, 12:01:40 PM, Jim Bailey <jim at lateral.net> wrote regarding
> [Gllug] perl querying SQL server 7:

> > Hi Bruce,

> > I don't know if you can help with this but Dean says you have done
> > something similar recently, I would be grateful for pointers we are
> > trying to query a M$ SQL 7 server via perl on a Unix box and it is
> > proving a nightmare.  The ISP won't allow DBD::Proxy for some reason It
> > looks like we are stuck with ODBC but apparently there are lots of
> > problems.

Strictly speaking, you may not need to install ODBC, you may just need to
install freetds.  PHP, for example, has MSSQL-specific functions and can
be built directly against FreeTDS to enable them.  I really do recommend
the ODBC route, though, as the ODBC manager provides you with tools with
which you can test the MSSQL driver and database connection.  It also
means you are not tied to one database.

An open, useful standard from Microsoft - crazy world.

--

Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk