[Gllug] ~+* :) *+~

Jake Jellinek jj at positive-internet.com
Wed Aug 8 18:25:22 UTC 2001

> Anyway...sounds good, maybe the good doctor and I will be having words
> later on. One thing though, if you sit and hold down enter while talking
> to Eliza, she will talk to herself - if I send a message with a forged
> from address, will that bot also talk to itself? :P

Nope, I figured that one out, although not before mistakenly doing this
(because I've spent some time forging e-mails from Gerald to my friends, in
attempts to get them talking to a machine, and forgot I had my From header
set to Gerald). When I later tested an e-mail direct to him and from him as
well. As you can imagine this quickly generated a large number of
ever-increasing in size e-mails. If I hadn't stopped it quickly, I'm sure
our server would have died quite soon after under the (what's the word for
increasing in powers?) stress.

As I say, there are probably a few ways to DOS and break the system at the
moment, but I've tried to cover the basic ones I can think of so far.

Thanks to David Irvine btw, for getting me to teach Gerald about Linux and
beer.

Cheers,

Jake.

P.S. No point me forging this mail as if it came from gerald, your reply
would go back to the list, and you'll be glad to know that I haven't and
won't be subscribing Gerald to the list ;-)

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk