[Gllug] OT: Just probing the job market in London

Daniel Fairs daniel.fairs at spiderplant.net
Wed Aug 15 12:01:29 UTC 2001

That's not really true, for developers/sysadmins. The consultancies in
London will start a graduate off on £28k-£30k. Other firms, a couple of £k
less. That is, of course, with a 2.1/1st from a decent uni.

After two years' experience, you can probably expect to be on £35-40k,
depending on exactly what you do - programmers (especially team leaders)
earn more than sysadmins.

As far as the contract market goes, it's pretty sluggish. You're unlikely to
find much in the way of web design or associated things; the old stalwarts
of C/C++, Perl and so on are the best contracting skills at the moment. My
friend just got a contract doing Windows C++ embedded programming.

The job market is relatively slow - but it's still a lot better than those
coming out of uni with non-IT or especially non-science degrees...

I'm speaking, btw, as a graduate with a years' experience - I've just
managed to find a job. It's harder than it used to be... But good people
will certainly find something.

Dan

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk