[Gllug] How do they manage it? (IT recruitment agencies)

Jon Masters jonathan at jonmasters.org
Mon Aug 13 01:07:43 UTC 2001

On 11 Aug 2001 13:21:42 +0200, Stig Brautaset wrote:

> heh, not exactly the same, but pretty similar. My C++-"professor" posted
> exercises on the web for us to do every week -- in M$ word doc-format.

I think we have, in Nottingham, managed to get to a situation where
nasty M$ formats are not the only way of getting at slides and examples.
I brought this up at the student/staff meetings last year because I fail
to see why anyone in an educational insitution should support such evil
and not all of us are Windows lusers (although a large number seem to
be).

> The document consisted of a simple numerated list with <= 5 questions,
> so I emailed him and asked if he could post it in html instead, pointing
> out that some people did not have the latest version of word. I got a
> rather rude mail back saying that "all the machines at uni have the
> software required installed" (which was a lie) and that he could not be
> asked to change to html, since noone else had complained.

I got a mail like that on several occasions but I just responded back
informing them that I object to using any of the 250+ windows 2000
machines in our main lab in favour of the three which run deadrat and do
not have either M$ word or Star Office installed. I could do a remote X
export from another box but I failed to see why I should be required to.

> I got a few of my friends to complain also, so he ended up changing it.

Same here.

> But, it pissed me off because it was such a silly thing to do

Yep, but if only that was the only fucked up thing that happened :)

--jcm

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk