[Gllug] perl querying SQL server 7

Simon Stewart sms at digital-science.net
Tue Aug 21 13:41:26 UTC 2001

On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 01:20:50PM +0100, Dean wrote:

> At OSDEM this year Rasmus mentioned PHP had a database abstraction layer on
> the way, has this grown into something usable or is it still in early
> alpha/beta phase?

You mean the DB module from the PEAR? According to my amazingly shonky
memory(!) it comes as part of the later PHP 4 releases. Sadly, it's an
older version (according to google) even in the last release, so your
best bet is to head off into the great wide open of CVS[1]

In use, it's fine. I strongly suspect that your PHP version has to
have support for the various databases you connect to[2], but
otherwise it's a reasonably "perl-ish" method to communicate with
them.

Is it useable? IME, yes, but then I've only done simple stuff with it,
so perhaps more advanced usage/different DB will break it.

Cheers,

Simon

[1] http://php.net/manual/en/pear.php
[2] It's been a while since I toyed with it, and always connecting to
    a database that my copy of PHP could access anyway.

--
Vote anarchist

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk