[Gllug] free (very very old) kit

William Palfreman william at palfreman.com
Tue Aug 21 16:29:23 UTC 2001

Take my advice and use Pentiums (75s 100s).  These will have real pci
slots (so you can use nics that actaully work!) and come with 16Mb ram -
running in 8Mb on a 486 is a massive pain.  Plus P75s generally have
two IDE controllers to the 486s typical one, so if you have a dodgy
cable-to-intself hard disk you can definely attach a CDROM.  Also
modern cdroms are genereally too fast for old 486s, and cause the
install to fail.

Anyway, you can't go wrong with P75s for low-end work, and they cost next
to nothing these days.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk