[Gllug] perl querying SQL server 7

Bruce Richardson brichardson at lineone.net
Tue Aug 21 13:08:43 UTC 2001

On 8/21/01, 1:20:50 PM, Dean <dean.wilson3 at virgin.net> wrote regarding Re:
[Gllug] perl querying SQL server 7:

> > I have no experience of using Perl with ODBC, though.  To use PHP with it
> > you have to recompile PHP against whichever ODBC manager you installed.

> Once you've got the ODBC manager installed you can install the DBD::ODBC
> module. That should make the Perl stuff easier.

Does this involve any re-compiling or does Perl just sniff out the
library?

> > ODBC is a Good Thing.  Being able to use the same sql shell (and PHP
> > calls) to access both PostgreSQL and SQL Server databases is making my
> > life much easier.

> This is one of the reasons i like Perl so much, the DBI and DBD stuff
> presents an almost uniform api to all the different databases as long as
> you stick with semi standard stuff. :)

The ODBC standard includes transaction support in the abstraction layer,
which is a bonus, though it can't provide a whole transaction interface
for databases that don't have the feature.  The ODBC interface libraries
also compensate for the minor deficiencies and incompatibilities of
individual drivers/databases and requires databases to return data as
standard SQL types (as opposed to the extended types they all indulge
in).

> At OSDEM this year Rasmus mentioned PHP had a database abstraction layer
on
> the way, has this grown into something usable or is it still in early
> alpha/beta phase?

He may have been referring to the DB module in Pear.

--

Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk