[Gllug] Whinge

David Damerell damerell at chiark.greenend.org.uk
Thu Aug 30 10:01:50 UTC 2001

Last night I changed the motherboard, CPU and memory in my fastest
machine from a slot Althon 750 to a VIA K7V266, Thunderbird 1400,
256Mb PC2100 memory. I'm not just telling you this to make you dribble
(although I _can_ compile a kernel, modules and all, in 130 seconds),
but to tell a tale of woe.

I have two OSes installed on this machine. One of them, our friends in
Redmond tell us, is difficult to use. For experts only. Not well
supported. Doesn't support the latest hardware. Indeed, this OS was
not without problems; I had to boot from a rescue disc, remove the
bogus 'mem=384M' from /etc/lilo.conf, rerun lilo. Total elapsed time,
5 minutes.

The other OS is the consumer OS that everyone uses because it's easy
to use; furthermore, I live with someone who is often reduced to
professional admin of OSes from this family. 4 hours of epic struggle
and innumerable reboots later, most of the problems are solved, but it
still won't use any graphics driver except the oldest available.

I know you all know this, but I just wanted to complain. Really. How
did they conquer the world with this shit?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk