[Gllug] NTFS fix under DOS

Simon Bunker sibunks at hotmail.com
Wed Aug 1 19:22:42 UTC 2001

> Linux is a better fix for the data, in addition you get to back it up
> before doing anything further :-)

I'd really like my partitions to talk to each other better.I seem to have
found a couple of things for Linux/NTFS file swapping at
http://sourceforge.net/projects/linux-ntfs/ (Linux reading ntfs) and
http://uranus.it.swin.edu.au/~jn/linux/ (NT reading ext2). Are these
solutions as dodgy as they look - seems like if you write something then you
can say goodbye to your hard disk... great. I think I will stick to a FAT
swap partition. Has anyone used these?

> Otherwise compile a kernel with NTFS support, copy the data off.  I will
> be surprised if Linux does not see it.  (I solved similar problems here
> for the windowsheads on w2k)  Then format the drive, don't forget about
> the 2GB limitation on their crappy OS and copy the data back before
> re-install.

What 2Gb limitation? Or do you mean FAT? If you are talking about NT 4 then
yes it is the biggest pile of crap on the planet - 2000 is much better
though.

> Here's hoping you junk the windows gumph :-)

It seems to be a very server orientated market here in which case I'd agree.
I'm coming from a Desktop perspective and the other way around seems to be
truer - there are still quite a lot of Win only programs that I use a lot
which don't have alternatives on Linux.

Simon
http://www.rendermania.com/
UIN 11123737