[Gllug] Whinge

jane taylor jane at moonrose.demnospamon.co.uk
Fri Aug 31 11:47:39 UTC 2001

On Fri, 31 Aug 2001 12:07:22 +0100, you wrote:

~Fair point but with a PhD in physics and a good knowledge of Unix why feel
~the need to 'nail em' ?

How  else can you illustrate that their assumptions are wrong? If I
humour them, they'll talk down to the next lass who comes along. And
she may be someone who is unsure of being in such a male-dominated
environment and then gets put off by this behaviour. I've been in my
field for too long to let it bother me.

I usually just reply to the person in question in technical terms,
illustrating I know what I'm talking about. I often get some _very_
surprised looks, and once reduced a bloke to standing there with his
mouth open.

<joke> I'm waiting for sexy young men wearing red speedos advertising
Linux products </joke>

...but it's as well I like fluffy penguins in the meantime :-)