[Gllug] webcams

John Hearns john.hearns at framestore.co.uk
Sun Aug 5 09:35:25 UTC 2001

"George F. Saxby" wrote:

> Hi,
>         I remember at the Linux Expo that a gllugite (I think it was Martin ) had a
> torn down web cam.
>         which type of camera was it please ie serial / usb /  special interface?
>
>         On the subject of webcams has any one linked this to a conventional PIR
> motion detector as an on off switch OR in these days of supersoftware used
> the camera it self as the on/off switch.
> If the latter is the case what software is it please.

George, I can see what you're thiking of!

A quick search on Freshmeat.net turns up e.g.
http://gspy.sourceforge.net

and this rather nifty project http://motion.technolust.cx
It seems to be able to SMS you when it sees the burglars brea in -
though what good that will do you if you are on the train or in the
office
I can't say - other than of course telling you to ring the police.
This site has a page of the cameras which work with it.
I guess any video4linuxdevice should work?

BTW, being one of the 'iPaq obsessed' I guess this would be a great
thing
to do with an iPaq - but sadly, as we've discussed before, it won't
connect
as a master to a USB webcam :-(
Anybosy seen such things as PCMCIA webcams?

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk