[Gllug] Off-topic: where to buy cheap fast 40gig Eide hard drives?

jane taylor jane at moonrose.demNoSpamon.co.uk
Wed Aug 29 09:44:22 UTC 2001

On Wed, 29 Aug 2001 08:37:09 +0100,Tet  wrote:

~
~>The 'today only' section of scan.co.uk regularly have 40Gb 7200RPM hdds
~>for (just, incl. VAT/delivery) under 100. I've had good experiences
~>with them, though it helps if you're near enough to Bolton to go shout
~>at them and pick things up - their courier company (Initial CityLink)
~>are awful, and there's often a lead time between placing an order and
~>having it put on a van, too.
~
~I used to use Scan religiously, but I've had to stop using them now.
~When they changed over to allowing web-based ordering, they cut
~down the number of people answering the phones, to the point where
~you're typically on hold for 45-60 minutes before you get to speak to
~them. When coupled with the number of incorrect orders they've sent
~recently, that doesn't make for a happy customer (they won't let you
~return goods until you've spoken to someone and got a returns number
~-- tricky when they don't answer the phone).
~
~I've since started using RL Supplies in Watford, and so far, I've been
~very happy with them. They even undercut Scan on price, too, for many
~items. http://www.rlsupplies.co.uk

Try http://www.eclipse-computers.com  (£79.84 inc VAT +delivery for a
generic HDD, not much more for known ones)
or http://online.staktrading.com/cgi-bin/stakshop/
where I bought a 40GB Fuijitsu picobird last week for £83 inc VAT. And
because I also got a £57 HP CD burner for a friend, delivery was free
and it came by Citylink next day.

--
jane

Mark Twain

Please remove nospam from replies, thanks!

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk