[Gllug] No More Dell Linux

Ian Northeast ian at house-from-hell.demon.co.uk
Sat Aug 4 00:26:49 UTC 2001

Bruce Richardson wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 03, 2001 at 12:27:38PM +0100, Murray Walker wrote:
> > Boo Hiss.
> > http://www.theregister.co.uk/content/4/20813.html
>
> Well, I just installed Linux on a Dell Optiflex G100 so yar boo sucks!
                                             ^
Is that the special rubber version?

Despite Dell's dropping of preinstalled Linux, I still think they make
good machines. My old Optiplex GM200 has had Linux (various), Solaris
and OS/2 on it, and now has FreeBSD. All have worked without the
slightest problem (except the ones I caused of course:). Naturally I
have no idea how well they run Windows, but I understand its previous
owner used NT. We had an Optiplex G1 around once (now recycled for
parts) and that was excellent too.

Their tech support is very good too. They will give email support if you
quote the number off the sticker on the back, you do not have to have
any sort of warranty or have bought the machine new.

Don't let this setback put anyone off buying Dells. Of the branded
machines I think they are the best.

Regards, Ian

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk