[Gllug] Using a mobile phone as a modem

Paul Brazier pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk
Wed Aug 8 08:05:11 UTC 2001

[I'm re-posting this as I think the first one got lost - apologies if
anyone gets this twice]

I'm looking for something to enable me to use a mobile phone as a
"modem".
In particular, to be able to dial up, etc from a script.

Would this be possible from a PDA? (Though I'm not sure how easy it is
to get Linux on PDAs)
Other options might be to a 9-pin serial port on a desktop or a PCMCIA
card or infra-red port on a laptop.

Do I need a phone with a "built-in modem"? - I think mobile phone
companies advertise these as "PDA compatible" (or does that mean it
comes with an infra-red port)?
Do I need a modem at all seeing as the data is digital at all times
anyway?
Do you generally need to dial up manually (i.e. pressing the keys) or
can a script control the mobile as it would a normal modem?
Would Linux need a separate driver for each type of mobile phone or is
there a standard interface?
Could I dial through a mobile phone in minicom using "atdt 0208 ..."?
Would I use minicom/seyon or are there other dialers for mobiles?

Sorry to bombard the list with so many questions :-)

and thanks for the "rm" help - I guess I should have read the man pages
first but I've found in the past that they're not very helpful unless
you already know what you're doing and just need a syntax reminder. I
thought this would have been an obscure problem but there it was at the
top of the man page.

--
Paul Brazier
Cosmos UK

the originator.

This footnote also confirms that this email message has been checked
for the presence of computer viruses.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk