[Gllug] How do they manage it? (IT recruitment agencies)

Simon Bunker sibunks at hotmail.com
Fri Aug 10 18:38:42 UTC 2001

Well that's Ok if you are just running a small file server and vi every now
and again - personally I prefer a little more. I don't run anti-virus
software at home - I do however have Zone Alarm on and the latest service
pack (win2k).

At work they pretty much exclusively use Office, but with anti-virus doing
it's stuff in the background getting a typed character to appear litterally
takes several seconds - and thats on a 266Mhz machine.

Ironically the anti-virus software makes the system less secure as to update
it they pipe an administrator password in as a plain text file from C:\
drive - stupid stupid stupid! I won't say where I work but it isn't in IT
:o)

I've heard there are worse than Office though - I have a friend who is
forced to use Lotus Notes and is longing to get Outlook! Personally I have
never tried Lotus.

Simon
http://www.rendermania.com/
UIN 11123737

> average spec in my house is 180mhz, (linux is just fine)
>
> i find clients i work with often have averages of 750mhz machines as
> deskstations, i would say in these cases antivirus stuff doesnt slow them
down,
> windows me/2000 does, and office does a good job of burning cpu cycles
like
> theres no tomorrw.
>
> bredroll
>
> > >I dont know other peoples experience but in mine anti-virus s/w tends
> > >slow the computer down something chronic, esp on some applications like
M$

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk