[Gllug] 10th Birthday party

Mark Preston mark at markpreston.co.uk
Tue Aug 7 19:45:10 UTC 2001

At this rate Linux will have more birthdays than the Queen!

According to the book "rebel code" by Glyn Moody page 41, a person called
Ari Lemmke created the /pub/os/linux directory on an internet server at
Helsinki University (date unspecified). Linus didn't want to call his
"hobby" Linux at this stage. When Linus posted the message to  comp.os.minix on
25th August 1991 he had not at that point put any code files into that
directory. After receiving some responses to his posting he uploaded the source
code (Linux 0.01) some time in September, before emailing those who had replied
to his August 25th posting. He did not mention version  0.01 on the
comp.os.minix newsgroup, but announced version 0.02 on October 5th 1991.
Regards from Mark Preston