[Gllug] Gllug on IRC ?

Richard Cohen richard at vmlinuz.org
Mon Aug 27 21:27:43 UTC 2001

On Mon, 27 Aug 2001, George wrote:

> Hey everyone,
>
> After pondering for a while for no real reason, I thought of something
> really cool. Now, if this already exists or has had a whole 3 month thread
> dedicated to it already, please forgive me, and flame me endlessly every
> easter. Lol.
>
> I was thinking that it would be an interesting, or dare I say useful idea if
> Gllug had it's own channel on IRC. Nothing special, just a place where Gllug
> guys/gals can chat in real time, when people are on the net. Something the
> style of the #slashdot channel would be good, a reasonable channel on
> openprojects irc (irc.openprjects.net) with no ops - I don't like ops, it
> just doesn't fit in with the linux freedom fighter idea . Heh ;-)

This has been discussed before a few times before, and no conclusion
reached.  Some people suggest #brits on openprojects.net (which seems to
make sense to me), and others have suggested something on irc.lug.org.uk,
which is actually just a pointer to a server on a small network.

I think that, in general, the people who do IRC probably know where they
want to go - I know I tend to use openprojects for project-type things
(mainly ipaq-related) and Undernet for IRC gaming.

> Anyhoo, gotta scram, reply with comments/flame/whatever
>
> See y'all soon
> George
> By the way, does anyone have/know of any official plans for the next gllug
> meeting. I thought another one in central london, would be just dandy.

While nothing is officially planned yet, there will probably be a meet
sometime in September, and unless something has happened and no-one told me
about it, it should be in the same place as last time.

Cheers
Richard

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk