[Gllug] DHCP/Firewalls

Daniel Fairs daniel.fairs at spiderplant.net
Thu Aug 23 13:20:07 UTC 2001

Sorry, but I have to say: No No No! ;o)

Our internal network changes frequently (don't ask) so DHCP is a must
(incidentally, we are using 192.168.blah.blah). Putting web servers on the
internal network and port forwarding is ok EXCEPT you can only have one of
each type of server, and if that server *is* compromised (via a format
string vulnerability or something, which *can* come in on the allowed port)
then you've got attackers running around on your internal network. Which
consists of Windows boxes, so that would Not Be A Good Thing.

However, all opinions are welcome :)

Cheers,
Dan

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk