[Gllug] Mozilla on Redhat 7.1

Nix nix at esperi.demon.co.uk
Thu Aug 9 19:30:20 UTC 2001

On Wed, 08 Aug 2001, tet at accucard.com said:

>>Ahhh... this is where the chaos kicks in: a rule of thumb is that if
>>the 2nd number is odd then you're using a testing or unstable release,
>>but if it's even then you're using a production release (think linux
>>kernel)
>
> Actually, that's not true at all. Linux started using this numbering
> scheme (when it hit 1.0.0, if I recall). But virtually nothing else
> does. A few projects (e.g., fvwm) have since adopted the same scheme,
> but it's certainly not common.

Just as common (i.e. in use by at least one project ;) ) is the scheme
whereby major releases get a version number like `3.0', `3.1' &c, and
minor releases and snapshots get numbers appended to that, like 3.0.22,
3.0.23...

--
`It's all about bossing computers around. Users have to say "please".
Programmers get to say "do what I want NOW or the hard disk gets it".'

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk