[Gllug] perl querying SQL server 7

Dean dean.wilson3 at virgin.net
Tue Aug 21 12:20:50 UTC 2001

On Tue, Aug 21, 2001 at 12:08:14PM +0000, Bruce Richardson wrote:
> First you need to install an ODBC manager.  Either iODBC
> (http://iodbc.org/) or unixODBC (http://www.unixodbc.org/) will do

> I have no experience of using Perl with ODBC, though.  To use PHP with it
> you have to recompile PHP against whichever ODBC manager you installed.

Once you've got the ODBC manager installed you can install the DBD::ODBC
module. That should make the Perl stuff easier.

> ODBC is a Good Thing.  Being able to use the same sql shell (and PHP
> calls) to access both PostgreSQL and SQL Server databases is making my
> life much easier.

This is one of the reasons i like Perl so much, the DBI and DBD stuff
presents an almost uniform api to all the different databases as long as
you stick with semi standard stuff. :)

At OSDEM this year Rasmus mentioned PHP had a database abstraction layer on
the way, has this grown into something usable or is it still in early
alpha/beta phase?

	Dean
--
Profanity is the one language all programmers understand
   --- Anon

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk