Code Cisco - was Re: [Gllug] M$ Technet?

William Palfreman william at palfreman.com
Thu Aug 2 09:26:02 UTC 2001

> On Tue, 31 Jul 2001 home at alexhudson.com wrote:
>
> > On Tue, Jul 31, 2001 at 12:10:10PM +0100, Gordon Joly wrote:
> > > Can worms (and viruses) jump the species boundary?
> >
> > Doesn't Code Red affect Ciscos as well?
>
> Not explicitly.  It sends an HTTP request to port 80 which the Cisco
> built-in web server (for management) sees as malformed and can fall over.
> It's not actually and attack on Ciscos - it just happens to kill them too

Bloody Ciscos. They want shooting.  Typical scene at work:

Me: What do you have 3/21 set to?
OP: Hard set to full 100. What about at your side?
Me: The same.  But I'm down to 512Kb with 13460365 frame errors.
OP: Ok.  I'll go down to auto-auto.
Me: NOOO!  Remember this is Cisco were dealing with.  That was exactly
what we did to fix the last one.  We need to do something different or all
hell will break lose.
-----
Twenty minutes later...
-----
Me: Ok. ,48 at my side
OP: autoneging to 10/half.  Fuck.
Me: Ok, you go down to auto and I will do force 100 full.
OP: Done.
Me: Hmm, down to 8Kb.
----
Forty-five minutes later...