[Gllug] Whinge

Chris Ball chris at void.printf.net
Thu Aug 30 21:21:56 UTC 2001

On 30 Aug 2001 21:17:34 +0100, gllug at codex.net wrote:
> On Thu, 30 Aug 2001, David Damerell wrote
> > I know you all know this, but I just wanted to complain. Really. How
> > did they conquer the world with this shit?
>
> to be somewhat less serious, IMHO it's a classic case of heard mentality,
> people jump on the MS bandwagon because 'so many other people have' -
> 'therefore it must be good'.

Neal Stephenson describes it as 'mindshare' in 'In The Beginning..';
Windows leading not due to technological superiority - and certainly not
superiority cost-wise - but to people writing the drivers, applications
(and games!) for Windows due to its popularity. It's a really great
book. The other memorable description he used was taken from H. G. Wells
'The Time Machine', which involved two castes of people, the Eloi and
the Morlocks. The Morlocks were small in number but powered the Eloi's
living. It's an interesting, if ego-flatering analogy to geekdom.:-)

<ramble type="drunken"/>

~C.

--
Chris Ball || chris at void.printf.net || http://printf.net/