[Gllug] thumbnail creation

John Hearns john.hearns at framestore-cfc.com
Wed Dec 26 13:19:25 UTC 2001

On Wed, 2001-12-26 at 11:30, Allen Wayne wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> having discovered the pleasures of php and mysql, I am in the process of
> writing a database for storing image details. I am not storing the images
> directly in the database, but the preview images at the moment at just the
> image width-ed to a small value. I am looking for a way to generate a
> thumbnail from an image on the fly, from php.

You could start by looking at pbmtools.
The pbmtools package has all sorts of small programs,
which are used for converting graphics formats, resizing etc.
You pipe the output of one to the other.
These are typical Unix style tools - small programs which do one
job, which you concatenate together via pipes.
The first step is usually to convert from your original format
to the pbm (portable bit map) format.
Then you do resizes or whatever other operations, then output.

man pbm  if it is on your system.
IIRC the RPM package is called ImageMagick.

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk