[Gllug] Win&Lin accessible filesystems

Bruce Richardson itsbruce at uklinux.net
Thu Dec 13 12:36:14 UTC 2001

On 12/13/01, 10:21:34 AM, "Paul Brazier" <pbrazier at cosmos-uk.co.uk> wrote
regarding RE: [Gllug] Win&Lin accessible filesystems :

> > Well if you're being picky about it, vfat is the name of the
> > filesystem,
> > and you can put that filesystem on any partition you like, regardless
> > of the partition type flag. There's nothing to stop you having a vfat
> > filesystem on a Linux parittion (or, indeed an Amoeba or HURD
> > or LANstep
> > parition, or any other of their wierd and wonderful types available)

> I'm a little unclear what the distinction between partition and
> filesystem actually is.

Partitions organise the disk into sections and that's all, really.
Filesystems (in this context) organise the data within the partitions.
When you create a FAT32 partition you are actually just creating a
partition and labelling it with a number that indicates the type of
filesystem that it is *intended* to hold.  You could then create an ext2
filesystem within it.

For the sake of sanity, though, it's best to match the filesystem to the
type indicated by the partition table.  Applications tend to assume the
partition table is telling the truth rather than analyse the partition to
check.  Once, after upgrading and re-organising a Linux box, I activated
a swap partition that had previously been an ext2 partition without
running mkswap to create a swap fs.  It chugged away for a couple of
weeks on the ext2 fs before I noticed.

--

Bruce

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk