[Gllug] SiS 7012 and sound

Simon Stewart sms at lateral.net
Wed Dec 5 10:27:29 UTC 2001

On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 08:56:10PM +0000, Pete Ryland wrote:
> On Tue, Dec 04, 2001 at 11:40:58AM +0000, Simon Stewart wrote:

<snip>

> > > My lappy has a SiS 7018 which works nicely with the kernel's standard
> > > trident driver.  Maybe worth a try.
> >
> > Was indeed worth a try, but sadly it failed to work. FWIW, I've
> > managed to get the following modules inserted into the kernel without
> > a word of complaint (which suggests that they should be alright):

<snip my lsmod and mpg123 output>

> > Which in turn indicates that something is awry.
>
> lsmod on this machine reveals:
>
> Module                  Size  Used by    Tainted: P
> trident                26624   1  (autoclean)
> ac97_codec              9568   0  (autoclean) [trident]
> soundcore               3492   3  (autoclean) [trident]
>
> So I think both the ac97 _and_ the trident modules are actually needed for
> the 7018.  The chipset is actually an sis630s which has an integrated 7018.

Thanks for the advice and tips, but the trident driver doesn't appear
to want to play with the 7012. Which is a pity, cos it'd be nice to
get some sound out of this box.

Will have to continue exporting my MP3s via NFS and playing them on my
OS X box :)

Cheers,

Simon

--
What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth?  Judging from realistic
simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we

Gllug mailing list  -  Gllug at linux.co.uk